På skatteverket.se använder vi kakor (cookies) för att webbplatsen ska fungera på ett bra sätt för dig. Genom att surfa vidare godkänner du att vi använder kakor. Vad är kakor?

För närvarande har vi vissa störningar i telefonin till skatteupplysningen.

Logotyp, till startsidan

You are a citizen of a Nordic country

If you are a citizen of a Nordic country and are planning to live in Sweden for one year or more, you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish Population Register. As a Nordic citizen, you are not required to show right of residence or a residence permit in order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

In order to be registered in the Swedish population register (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you intend to move to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of our Tax Agency offices (servicekontor). When you visit the office all members of your family who are moving to Sweden must accompany you, including the children.

» Find your nearest Tax Agency office (in Swedish)

Bring the following documents

You need to bring the following documents when you visit one of our Tax Agency offices:

Passport or national ID card.

A driver's license is not a national ID card

A driver's license does not show your citizenship. To show your citizenship you must have a passport or a national ID card.

Documents showing your civil status, i.e. marriage certificate.

As unmarried you do not need to show your civil status.

Civil status

The following civil status exists:

  • unmarried
  • married or a registred partner
  • widow or widower
  • divorced.

Birth certificate, if you have children.

Bring original documents

Remember that all documents verifying your civil status or your relationships must be the original documents. You can also bring certified copies.

Certified means that someone has attested that the copy conforms to the original document. Another person must sign the copy, write his or her name in block capitals and write their telephone number.

Family member

If you have family members who are citizens outside of a Nordic country and if he or she is moving together with you, they need to have a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd) or right of residence (uppehållsrätt). Read more about moving to Sweden and choose the alternative that best applies to you.

» Read more about moving to Sweden

Children under 18

If a child under the age of 18 is planning to move to Sweden all the guardians need to fill out an application. If one of the guardians is abroad, he or she needs to provide written consent for the move to Sweden.

Children over the age of 16 can fill out their own application without their guardians’ written consent.

To be registered

When the Swedish Tax Agency has registered you and your family, you will receive your personal identity numbers (personnummer). The Swedish Tax Agency will register the following information:

  • which building and address you live at
  • where you were born and your citizenship
  • your civil status and any relationship to your spouse, children or parent.

If you have income from another country 

Please remember that when you move to Sweden and become registered in the Swedish Population Register, you may also be obliged to pay tax in Sweden on income that you receive from another country. Please contact the Swedish Tax Agency if you have such income.

» More information about an obligation to pay tax


Till toppen