På skatteverket.se använder vi kakor (cookies) för att webbplatsen ska fungera på ett bra sätt för dig. Genom att surfa vidare godkänner du att vi använder kakor. Vad är kakor?

Logotyp, till startsidan

You are moving by yourself, are employed or will be working

As a citizen of a EU or EEA country you have the right to stay in Sweden for three months. To be registered in the Swedish Population Register you must need to move to and intend to live in Sweden for one year or more. You are also required to present documents proving that you have right of residence for at least one year or a residence permit for at least one year.

In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you are moving to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of our Tax Agency offices (servicekontor).

» Find your nearest Tax Agency office (in Swedish)

Bring the following documents

You need to bring the following documents when you visit one of our Tax Agency offices:

Passport or national ID card.

Documents showing your civil status, e.g. marriage certificate.

As unmarried you do not need to show your civil status.

Civil status

The following civil status exists:

  • unmarried
  • married or a registred partner
  • widow or widower
  • divorced.

Birth certificate, if you have children.

Documents showing that you are employed and working or will be working in Sweden.

Pay slips

If you have already begun your period of employment you can also bring pay slips.

Present your employment certificate

If you are working in Sweden you will be required to present an employment certificate (anställningsbevis) from your employer, specifying that you will be performing work in Sweden. 

The employment certificate must be signed by you and your employer and include the following details:

  • your name and your address
  • your employer’s name and address
  • your employer's corporate identity number (organisationsnummer)
  • if you are employed on a fixed-term or indefinite-term basis or on a probationary or temporary basis
  • other employment terms including employment date, period of notice, working hours, holiday leave, salary and benefits
  • description of your duties
  • collective agreement (if applicable).

Bring original documents

Remember that all documents verifying your civil status or your relationships must be the original documents. You can also bring certified copies.

Certified means that someone has attested that the copy conforms to the original document. Another person must sign the copy, write his or her name in block capitals and write their telephone number.

Children under 18

If a child under the age of 18 is planning to move to Sweden all the guardians need to fill out an application. If one of the guardians is abroad, he or she needs to provide written consent for the move to Sweden.

Children over the age of 16 can fill out their own application without their guardians’ written consent.

If you do not have right of residence

If you do not have right of residence (uppehållsrätt), you are required to have a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd) in Sweden that is valid for one year or more to be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

You can apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency.

» To the Swedish Migration Agencys websiteexternal link, opens in new window

To be registered

When you are registered in the Swedish Population Register you will receive a Swedish personal identity number. The Swedish Tax Agency will register the following information:

  • which building and address you live at
  • where you were born and your citizenship
  • your civil status and any relationship to your spouse, children or parent.

If you have income from another country

Please remember that when you move to Sweden and become registered in the Swedish Population Register, you may also be obliged to pay tax in Sweden on income that you receive from another country. Please contact the Swedish Tax Agency if you have such income.

» More information about an obligation to pay tax


Till toppen