På skatteverket.se använder vi kakor (cookies) för att webbplatsen ska fungera på ett bra sätt för dig. Genom att surfa vidare godkänner du att vi använder kakor. Vad är kakor?

Logotyp, till startsidan

You are moving by yourself and you are self-sufficient

As a citizen of another EU or EEA country than Sweden you have right of residence if you can show that you have sufficient funds, i.e. sufficient money to live on and support yourself in Sweden. You also need to have comprehensive health insurance.

As a citizen of a EU or EEA country you have the right to stay in Sweden for three months. To be registered in the Swedish Population Register you must need to move to and intend to live in Sweden for one year or more. You are also required to present documents proving that you have right of residence for at least one year or a residence permit for at least one year.

In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you are moving to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of our Tax Agency offices (servicekontor).

» Find your nearest Tax Agency office (in Swedish)

Bring the following documents

You need to bring the following documents when you visit one of our Tax Agency offices:

Passport or national ID card.

Documents showing your civil status, e.g. marriage certificate.

As unmarried you do not need to show your civil status.

Civil status

The following civil status exists:

  • unmarried
  • married or a registred partner
  • widow or widower
  • divorced

Birth certificate, if you have children.

Documents showing that you have sufficient funds to support yourself.

Sufficient funds

You must have sufficient funds to live on to support yourself for at least one year during your stay in Sweden. Benefits such as child benefit and housing allowance that are paid by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) do not qualify as sufficient funds.

Documents that you can present:

  • bank statement from your bank
  • certificate that you have a pension
  • certificate from another person guaranteeing that you will be supported financially and documents that show that sufficient financial funds are available.

Documents showing that you have comprehensive health insurance.

» Read more about comprehensive health insurance

Bring original documents

Remember that all documents verifying your civil status or your relationships must be the original documents. You can also bring certified copies.

Certified means that someone has attested that the copy conforms to the original document. Another person must sign the copy, write his or her name in block capitals and write their telephone number.

Children under 18

If a child under the age of 18 is planning to move to Sweden all the guardians need to fill out an application. If one of the guardians is abroad, he or she needs to provide written consent for the move to Sweden.

Children over the age of 16 can fill out their own application without their guardians’ written consent.

Comprehensive health insurance

In addition to having sufficient financial funds you also need to have a comprehensive health insurance that is valid for residence in Sweden. It needs to be valid for at least one year from the date that you moved to Sweden. Your health insurance can either be public or private.

You need to bring an extract from the insurance terms and conditions in English.

The Swedish Tax Agency cannot give advance notice whether the health insurance will be accepted at the assessment of the right of residence.

Public health insurance

Private health insurance

You will need to present certificate S1 which shows that you have comprehensive health insurance in an EU or EEA country other than Sweden. The health insurance should be valid for you and for your residence in Sweden. It is important that the certificate is valid for at least one year from the date that you moved to Sweden.

The certificate S1 replaces the certificates E106, E109 and E121.

You can also have a fully comprehensive private health insurance. In that case it must fulfil the following four criteria:

1. The health insurance should give you cover for the time that you live in Sweden.

2. It should be valid for at least one year from the date that you moved to Sweden.

3. It should comply with one or other of the following requirements:

  • it should compensate necessary healthcare up to a value of at least SEK 10 million, or
  • it should correspond to the statutory health insurance in the EU or EEA nation of which you are a citizen or moved from, or
  • it may cover necessary healthcare for a lower amount than SEK 10 million but, in that case, the insurance should pay for your homeward journey for continued care in your home country.

4. The insurance may not have any exemption clauses that mean that it does not cover necessary medical care. There may be clauses that apply to dental care, fertility treatments, voluntary plastic surgery and force majeure situations such as war and natural catastrophes as well as preventive healthcare (for example health examinations without a medical justification), vaccinations, care of injuries resulting from participation in official sports competitions or training for such competitions, and care of injuries resulting from ‘high-risk activities’, e.g. parachuting and mountain climbing.

If you do not have right of residence

If you do not have right of residence (uppehållsrätt), you are required to have a residence permit (uppehållstillstånd) in Sweden that is valid for one year or more to be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

You can apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency.

» To the Swedish Migration Agencys websiteexternal link, opens in new window

To be registered

When you are registered in the Swedish Population Register you will receive a Swedish personal identity number. The Swedish Tax Agency will register the following information:

  • which building and address you live at
  • where you were born and your citizenship
  • your civil status and any relationship to your spouse, children or parent.

If you have income from another country

Please remember that when you move to Sweden and become registered in the Swedish Population Register, you may also be obliged to pay tax in Sweden on income that you receive from another country. Please contact the Swedish Tax Agency if you have such income.

» More information about an obligation to pay tax


Till toppen