Planerat underhåll på samtliga e-tjänster 11-12 januari. Kortare störningar kan förekomma.

Störningar i telefonin gör att det just nu kan vara svårt att komma fram till Skatteverket.

Logotyp, till startsidan

Swedish Tax Agency issues ID cards

The Swedish Tax Agency can issue ID cards for individuals who meet the following criteria:

  • registered as living in Sweden (belong to the national register),  
  • at least 13 years of age  
  • able to provide satisfactory references to confirm identity   

For those who would like to obtain an ID card, the first step is to determine whether you meet the criteria stated above in order to be able to submit an application.   

You must be able to verify your identity

You must be able to provide satisfactory documentation to confirm your identity, both when you apply for the ID card and when you collect it.

Approved ID documentation to verify your identity

The following valid documentation may be used to verify your identity:

  • Swedish passport 
  • Swedish national ID card
  • Swedish driver's license
  • SIS-marked ID card, such as company ID card or service ID card
  • A Swedish government-issued ID card (not SIS-marked)
  • passport issued after 1 September 2006 by Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
  • EU passport issued after 1 September 2006 by any of the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain.
NOTE: Passports issued by Bulgaria, Romania and Cyprus are not approved as EU passports and may not be used to verify identity.

You must provide a written affirmation if you do not have approved documentation to verify your identity.
If you do not have approved documentation to verify your identity, you must provide written affirmation from a person who knows you well (attestor). 
Attestors are required to:

  • know the applicant well
  • be present when the application is submitted
  • be over the age of 18
  • provide proof of his/her relationship to the applicant
  • submit his/her personal data, along with address and contact information

The Swedish Tax Agency must be able to verify information about the attestor that is provided in the application.
The attestor must be present when you apply for an ID card. The person acting as attestor must be able verify his/her identity by providing an approved form of identification (see the list above). In addition, the attestor must provide a signature certifying that his/her personal data, as stated in the application form SKV 1501 is correct.
The following may act as attestor:

  • husband/wife
  • cohabitant 
  • child or grandchild over the age of 18
  • parent/guardian
  • sibling over the age of 18
  • grandparent
  • trustee or administrator
  • foster parent
  • public official from a local or state authority
  • employer, with whom the applicant has been employed for at least one year (closest supervisor or equivalent)

Please read more about the Tax Agency's regulations for ID cards, SKVFS 2009:14.

Guardian's consent

If you are under the age of 18, you must obtain the consent of your guardian in order to apply for an ID card. If you have two guardians, you must obtain the consent of both. At least one of your guardians must be present when you apply for an ID card.
Guardians provide their consent by completing and signing form SKV 1502.

Pay the application fee in advance

If you meet the requirements, you must pay the application fee of SEK 400 to the Tax Agency before submitting your application. However, you may not pay the fee at any of our offices. Instead, pay the application fee of SEK 400 to either one of these accounts:

  • bankgiro 389-0100 or
  • plusgiro 50 40 62 -1

You must pay the application fee before visiting our office to apply for an ID card.
NOTE: Make sure to use your personal identity number as payment reference when you pay the application fee. Please remember that it takes at least one business day before the Tax Agency has confirmation of the payment.
Save the payment receipt. You must take the payment receipt with you and present it when you apply for an ID card.

The application fee for an ID card is non-refundable. You will not be granted a refund if it is determined that you do not fulfill the requirements for issuance of an ID card.


You must visit one of our offices

Afterwards, you must visit (in person) one of the offices that issue ID cards. At the office, you will be required to complete an application form and you will also have your photograph taken.

Office that accept applications

The following service offices accept applications for ID cards:

  • Gothenburg/Nordstan.

In addition, our tax offices in the following regions will accept ID card applications, (until further notice):

  • Malmö,
  • Helsingborg,
  • Karlskrona,
  • Halmstad,
  • Kalmar,
  • Växjö,
  • Jönköping,
  • Linköping,
  • Norrköping,
  • Visby,
  • Södertälje,
  • Stockholm, Södermalm,
  • Uppsala,
  • Gävle,
  • Karlstad,
  • Västerås,
  • Örebro,
  • Umeå,
  • Sundsvall,
  • Luleå and
  • Östersund.

Would you like the address to one of our offices? Click here.

It will take a few weeks before you can collect your ID card

If you have paid the application fee and your application is approved, it typically takes about two weeks before you can collect your ID card. But, during the summer, it may take a bit longer before your ID card is ready — perhaps as long as four weeks.

As soon as the ID card is ready, you will receive a notification letter, which will be sent by regular mail to your place of residence. You must bring the notification letter with you to the office where you applied for the ID card. You must collect the ID card yourself. Therefore, always remember to submit a change-of-address to the Tax Agency whenever you move.

You can use your ID card for many different purposes.

For example, you can use the ID card as proof-of-identity when collecting prescription medication from the pharmacy, when paying by credit card in stores and when conducting banking transactions. You can also use the ID card as proof-of-age.
However, the ID card may not be used in place of a passport when traveling to other countries.
The Tax Agency's ID card also includes an e-legitimation (digital ID), which is necessary in order to use the e-services provided by many government authorities, such as to submit your income-tax return or a change-of-address. You can read more about the terms and conditions for an e-legitimation and e-services here SKV 1598B and to the Tax Agency's e-leg webpage.

In order to use your ID card's e-legitimation, you are required to have a PIN code. The PIN code will be sent by regular mail to your place of residence. You can decide for yourself if you would like to use your e-legitimation for various services.

In order to use your ID card's e-legitimation, you must have:

  • a computer with Internet access
  • a card reader
  • client software.

For assistance and relevant information, please visitänk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster/e-leg. Or, if you have questions, please call Telia's customer service at +46 (0) 20 32 32 62.

Call to put a freeze on your card if you lose it

If you lose the ID card that was issued by the Swedish Tax Agency, you must immediately put a freeze on it by calling +46 (0) 20 32 32 62. When you call this number, you must provide your name and personal identity number.
Once a freeze has been put on the card, it cannot be used by anyone else. If your ID card gets stolen, you should also report this to the policelänk till annan webbplats, öppnas i nytt fönster.

Check that the card is valid

The ID card if valid for five years. If you are unsure whether an ID card issued by the Tax Agency is valid, please call +46 (0) 8 530 385 13.   

Information available in other language

The Tax Agency has issued a folder called "Identitetskort för folkbokförda i Sverige" (Identity card for individuals who are registered as living in Sweden, i.e. included in the Swedish national register). It is available in Swedish (SKV 720), as well as several other languages (SKV 721).

Swedish Tax Agency issues ID cards

Till toppen